Pilier 3: Défis sociétaux
Décarbonisation des systèmes énergétiques des îles géographiques
Energy production costs on geographical island are up to ten times higher than on the mainland; therefore the large-scale deployment of local renewable energy sources and storage systems brings economic benefits and, at the same time, contributes to decarbonising the energy system of the island, reducing greenhouse gases emissions and improving, or at least not deteriorate, air quality.
The proposed solutions will contribute to high levels of local renewable energy and a very significant reduction of the use of fossil fuel based energies (ideally achieving full decarbonisation for the whole island), covering also:
- Improve integration and use of digitalised smart grids and/or thermal networks based on high flexibility services from distributed generation, local power balancing, demand response and storage of electricity, heating and cooling, water, etc.; including innovative approaches to energy storage at different scales.
- Improved forecasting through comprehensive modelling of demand and supply (e.g. based on weather, wind, sun, etc.).
Projects should also deliver:
- Effective business models for sustainable solutions for Renewable Energy Communities;
- Practical recommendations arising from project experience on:
- regulatory and legal aspects;
- gender and socio-economics (Social Sciences and Humanities);
- storage and flexibility solutions (from short to seasonal timescales);
- data management, data processing and related cyber security;
- Contributions to environmental sustainability;
- Large scale implementation of self-consumption solutions in households, buildings and/or districts, supported by microgrids and decentralised small-scale storage systems.
The projects are expected to contribute to all the following impacts:
- reduce significantly fossil fuel consumption, by developing renewable energy-based systems (including heating and cooling and storage) that allow the island to go towards full decarbonisation goals in a shorter time frame;
- large-scale uptake of validated solutions on the same geographical island and/or on other geographical islands with similar problems;
- Facilitate the creation and/or increase the number of renewable energy communities;
- enhance stability of the power network for islands that are grid connected with the mainland.
Dates clefs de l'appel à projet
- 3 septembre 2019 - Ouverture de l'appel
- 29 janvier 2020 - Fermeture de l'appel