The Offshore Wind Accelerator (OWA) is a collaborative R&D programme between The Carbon Trust, SSE Renewables Developments (UK) Limited, Ørsted Wind Power A/S, Innogy SE, ScottishPower Renewables (UK) Limited, EquinorASA, Shell Global Solutions International B.V., E.ON Climate & Renewables GmbH, Vattenfall Wind Power Ltd and ENBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG that aims to reduce the cost of offshore wind as well as provide insights regarding industry standard (and best practice) health and safety requirements.
The Carbon Trust Smart Battery STATCOM tender is calling for entries from companies and consortia interested to undertake a study to investigate the merit of adding battery energy storage to wind farm STATCOMs while incorporating intelligent control to enable participation in ancillary service markets..
The main objectives of this work are to:
- Detail assessment of the current capability of existing STATCOM and battery energy storage systems in participating in the ancillary service market.
- Determine which ancillary services are best suited to be offered by a Smart Battery STATCOM and the economic benefit.
- Engage with a range of stakeholders particularly TSOs to ensure technology acceptance.
- Assess potential control concepts and how might services be combined to offer benefit to TSOs. The project relies on TSO acceptance so engagement is critical.
- Assess additional/secondary benefits including oversizing units and the possibility to utilise the Smart Battery STATCOM for substation back up supplies.
- Identify any regulatory and technical barriers and to develop a roadmap to ensure these are overcome to enable effective implementation of the Smart Battery STATCOM.
For further details, please see the relevant document below and the Carbon Trust website.
Please contact WEAMEC if you are intesrested to get in touch with our members active in the Electrical connection and storage thematic.
Dates clefs de l'appel à projet
- 23 September 2020 - Tender launches
- 2nd October 2020 - Deadline for receipt of clarification questions
- 28 October 2020 - Deadline for applications