Call HE – CL5-2021-D3-01-02 – Laying down the basis for the demonstration of a Real Time Demonstrator of Multi-Vendor Multi-Terminal HVDC with Grid Forming Capability: Coordinated action
The call is intended to support all the preparatory phases among all stakeholders (HVDC systems manufacturers, TSOs, wind turbine manufacturers and windfarm developers) leading to a demonstration project to de-risk the technology to enable the installation in Europe of the first Multi-Vendor Multi-Terminal HVDC system with Grid Forming Capability. The HVDC system should guarantee at least the technological capabilities needed for advanced grid management capabilities and the deployment of the offshore grid (active and reactive power controlled separately, support to weak AC grids, black start, etc.). HVDC systems are applicable and can be planned, designed and integrated in any part of the AC grid, i.e. onshore as well as offshore. Following the Commission adoption of the “Strategy on Offshore Renewable Energy”, attention is presently focused to offshore grid application.
The demonstration project deriving from the action will pave the way to the deployment of the offshore energy system, which will enable the integration of increasing amounts of RES in the energy system.
Project results are expected to contribute to all of the following expected outcomes:
- Solid foundation to ensure investments in DC technologies for the European electricity network needed for the energy transition.
- Agreement among stakeholders (HVDC systems manufacturers, TSO, Regulators, Standardisation bodies, wind turbine manufacturers, windfarm developers etc.) and planning for the demonstration of a Real Time Demonstrator of Multi-Vendor Multi-Terminal HVDC with Grid Forming Capability, which will lead to the first real-life full scale installation in Europe.
- New way of framing the European energy system (on- off-shore) architecture and topology.
- Provide new pathways to offshore energy and development.
The supports all the multiple preparatory tasks, which will lead to a global agreement among stakeholders and define the detailed planning for the full-scale industrial demonstrator. These include, but are not limited to:
- Coordination and organization of a platform involving all stakeholders (HVDC system manufacturers, TSOs, third-party HVDC system integrators, wind turbine manufacturers, offshore wind farm developers).
- Compatibility of modelling tools towards interoperability.
- Model sharing between TSOs: legal framework.
- Roles and responsibilities on interoperability issues.
The selected projects are expected to contribute to relevant BRIDGE activities.
If your are a WEAMEC’s member or you would like to collaborate with WEAMEC’s members on this topic, contact us @ WEAMEC !
Dates clefs de l'appel à projet
- 24 June 2021 - Opening date
- 19 October 2021 - Deadline date