Call HE – CL5-2022-D3-01-07 – Demonstration of innovative rotor, blades and control systems for tidal energy devices
Project results are expected to contribute to all of the following expected outcomes:
- Demonstrated increased performance (>20%) and reliability of tidal energy devices.
- Improved knowledge on how to operate tidal energy devices, their availability, maintainability and survivability.
- Reduction of LCOE approaching SET Plan targets (actions should clearly justify the estimated LCOE at project start and end using a recognised calculation methodology).
- Reinforced industrial supply chain in Europe.
- Attraction of private investors to the sector and reduce the cost of their investment to projects with evidences and credible key performance indicators.
There is a need for further technology investigation and demonstration for improved reliability and efficiency of tidal turbine rotor and blades, including control and condition monitoring systems. Failure in a blade can create long downtimes, for instance blade edges can erode rapidly, facilitating water ingress, accelerating fatigue and the risk of failure. There are different blade solutions under development in terms of shape and material. Improving the seaworthiness of rotor and blades will reduce the likelihood of failure, reduced annual energy production and increases in operating costs.
The proposal is expected to:
- Demonstrate innovative rotor and blade solutions including condition monitoring systems for tidal energy devices in real sea conditions for long periods of time (12-24 months) providing invaluable learnings regarding performance, reliability, availability, maintainability, survivability and environmental impact.
- Apply high performance computing and digitalisation (e.g. data processing, machine learning and data analytics methods for implementation in data driven design, digital twins and control and monitoring for O&M).
The selected projects are expected to contribute and participate to the activities of the project BRIDGE when relevant.
Specific Topic Conditions:
Activities are expected to achieve TRL 7 by the end of the project – see General Annex B.
If your are a WEAMEC’s member or you would like to collaborate with WEAMEC’s members on this topic, contact us @ WEAMEC !
Dates clefs de l'appel à projet
- 14 October 2021 - Opening date
- 26 April 2022 - Deadline date