Sandia’s Water Power Technologies Department performs research and development to improve performance, lower costs, and accelerate the deployment of water power technologies. The primary focus area of the department’s work is Marine Hydrokinetics (MHK) research with lower levels of effort in Offshore Wind (OW) and Hydropower. The department is responsible for all aspects of Marine Hydrokinetic device design, performance, system reliability, system integration, and environmental evaluations for the Department of Energy¿s Wind and Water Power Technologies Office and in collaboration with industry partners. Offshore Wind Energy activities currently include Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) design and analysis and foundation scour. Hydropower efforts focus on seasonal simulation and optimization. Through partnerships with industry, academia, other National Labs, and public dissemination of results, Sandia serves an important role in energy security for the nation
Description du poste
We are seeking a hardworking and dedicated R&D, Mechanical Engineer to work as a researcher in the Water Power Technologies Department. You will work both independently and with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers to design, execute and analyze design studies and experiments. You will have a chance to work within both Sandia’s wind and water power technologies groups. Example tasks include: computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modeling of wave and current energy converters (WEC and CEC), designing wave energy converter including controllers and power take-off (PTO) mechanisms, field and laboratory testing of WECs and CECs, developing software tools to aid design tasks or data processing, setting up load measurement system on WECs and CECs, and documenting work through peer-review publications.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop CFD and/or numerical model to predict WEC/CEC performance and resource at deployment site;
- Process and analyze measurement and modeling datasets;
- Support field and laboratory testing (device, structural and material testing);
- Communicate research results effectively through written, oral, and other creative media methods to appropriate partners, including the funding customer;
- Participate in developing new business through idea generation, proposal writing, and networking opportunities;
- Partner with other researchers and departments across Sandia that work on energy systems.