The Centre for Scientific Research and Postgraduate Education (CICESE) is the largest centre of the Mexican Science and Technology Research Council (CONACYT). Its main campus is in Ensenada, Baja California, around 120 km south of San Diego. CICESE has four divisions: Earth Sciences, Applied Physics, Experimental and Applied Biology, and Oceanology. In CICESE we perform research in basic and applied science and technological development, with scientific, industrial, or societal impact. Basic and applied research on Renewable Energy is at the core of CICESE’s mission and vision for its future. For example, CICESE was the leader of the Mexican Centre for Innovation in Geothermal Energy “CeMIE-Geo” (2014-2019), and participates with five strategic projects in the Mexican Centre for Innovation in Ocean Renewable Energy, “CeMIE-Océano” (2017-2021), both financed by the Ministry of Energy and CONACYT. The project CeMIE-Océano is coordinated by the Institute of Engineering at UNAM and involves 41 national and international partners.
We invite postdoctoral candidates to apply for a position in the strategic project C-LE2 “Characterization of tidal and hydrokinetic energy resources in the Gulf of California”, of the CeMIE-Océano. The project is led by Dr Vanesa Magar of the GEMlab, in the Department of Physical Oceanography at CICESE. The C-LE2 project focuses primarily on numerical models and in-situ measurements to characterise the regional mean tidal power density and annual energy production. Studies of velocity fluctuations, including local turbulent kinetic energy and Reynolds stress characterization, are also part of the project.
The successful candidate will be part of the GEMlab, and work closely with Dr. Vanesa Magar, Dr. Markus Gross (co-lead of the GEMlab), and other collaborators of the C-LE2 project. The candidate should satisfy the following.
Description du poste
- Academic Background:
- The candidate should have a PhD or postdoctoral experience in related areas. Preference will be given to those who satisfy more closely the desirable experience.
- Being at least 80% fluent in English in both oral and written communication is an essential requirement.
- Desirable experience:
Preference will be given to candidates satisfying one or more of the following:
- Regional modelling experience, or experience with analyses of regional model outputs.
- Field work and data analysis experience with in-situ oceanographic and meteorological instrumentation, particularly with ADCPs.
- Statistical analysis and data visualization in Matlab, Python, or similar.
- Technical and communication skills:
- Aptitude to design, execute, and analyse results for regional/local models in original and independent ways.
- Experience with oceanographic and meteorological instrumentation, especially with ADCPs.
- Aptitude to identify research questions, write proposals, and work in inter or transdisciplinary teams.
- Fluency in english, proven through official examinations or peer-reviewed communication materials.
- A commitment to continuous development, either independently or as part of a team.
- Special Considerations:
Disposition to join the team and move to Ensenada as soon as the position has been offered.
- Required documentation:
- Cover letter of professional and personal reasons for applying to the post, including a description of professional background that demonstrates the desirable experience for the post.
- Curriculum Vitae up to date.
- Copies of BSc, masters, and PhD diplomas.
- Two letters of recommendation in headed paper.
- Document(s) proving fluency in English.
Applications will be evaluated through the standard internal procedures defined by the selection committee. Applicants fulfilling the requirements will be notified by email and invited for interview during the second stage of the selection process.
Modalités de candidature
Terms of the offer:
The successful candidate will be recruited as postdoctoral staff within the C-LE2 project, with a monthly salary ranging between $25,000 a $38,000 Mexican pesos, depending on background and previous experience of the candidate. The position is available from now until the 28 of February 2021, with a contract renewal in September 2020 (the outputs of the project are revised every 6 months). Extensions after February 2021 will depend on performance and availability of funding after that stage. CICESE and the PIs of the project will offer
- Support with application to the Mexican National System of researchers (SNI), managed by CONACYT.
- Support with instrumentation and software training, when possible.
- Possibility to participate in technical workshops, dissemination and outreach events, and conferences that contribute to the deliverables.
- Interaction with a highly specialised group of researchers, technicians, and students, striving for a positive work environment based on respect and collaboration between its members.
– Able to work full time for 40 hours per week, adapting to the requirements of the Project and under the supervision of the PIs of Project C-LE2.
– Commitment to learning and able to work independently and under pressure for large periods.
Please send your applications documents to:
|Contact:||Vanesa Magar (firstname.lastname@example.org), with copy to Leonor Falcón (email@example.com)|
|Deadline:||31 January 2020 or until the position is filled|
|Conditions:||All documentation should be scanned and sent to the contacts mentioned above. Any incomplete application will be rejected.|
|Evaluation:||The documentation will be revised and the successful candidates invited for interview by 15 February 2020.|