The FLOAting Wind Energy netwoRk (FLOAWER) will provide 13 Early Stage Researchers (ESR) with an interdisciplinary training with the aim to design better performing, economically viable floating wind turbines.
FLOAWER network uniquely gathers outstanding academics and FOW industrial leaders, covering the entire offshore wind industry value chain (i.e. farm developers, offshore subsystem suppliers -turbine, floater, mooring- and wind resource specialists). FLOAWER multidisciplinary approach will endow the ESR with scientific, technical, and soft skills to train the new generation of high-profile scientists and engineers, provide them with enhanced career perspectives and address offshore wind energy industry needs.
FLOAWER will strengthen European wind energy industry leadership and competitiveness.
ESR 2: Assessing the measurements of offshore wind conditions using LiDAR on floating platforms for resource assessment and power curve verification
Work-package: 4 – Wind Resource Assessment in Deep Waters
Host: University of Stuttgart (USTUTT)
Supervisors: Prof. Po Wen Cheng and Oliver Bischoff
Duration: 36 months
1. General study of advantages and disadvantages of different possibilities to measure wind conditions offshore with floating structures
2. Analytical comparison of different methods to measure wind conditions with a LiDAR from different floating platforms and positions (e.g. floating LiDAR, nacelle-based, transition piece based, floater based) for wind resource assessment and power curve determination
3. Development of new and extension of existing simulation environments for LiDAR measurements on floating structures performing wind field reconstruction
4. Verification of the simulation environment with real measurement data
5. Assessment of the uncertainties of LiDAR measurements on different floating structures
Planned secondments: Fraunhofer IWES (3 months) and IDEOL (3 months)
How to apply
Please send your electronic application in English or German including a motivation letter, CV, transcript of grades, job references, and an electronic copy of your MSc thesis to:
Stuttgarter Lehrstuhl für Windenergie am Institut für Flugzeugbau
Allmandring 5B, 70569 Stuttgart
Phone: +49 711 685-68253
Review of applications will begin immediately. The deadline for this application is the 31/05/2020