In order to ensure the maximum benefit of marine energies, it is necessary to set up arrangements allowing the optimization of their exploitation, both for the energy producer and the grid system operator.
Wave energy converters, due to the resource periodicity, are a relevant case study for the use and optimization of energy storage systems.
Scientific advances and innovation
- Dynamic and real time simulation of the energy conversion and storage, coupled to a virtual component (electric grid) or a real component (battery).
- Autonomous experimentation platform for grid integration of marine energies.
- Optimal energy management adapted to the periodicity and evolution of the resource.
Expected technical and economic impact
- Sizing and marinization of an energy storage system
- Optimization of the resource use
- Simulation and wave energy farm production forecasting tools
- Components systemic design
Key project milestones
- November 2014 - Project kick-off
- January 2016 - HiL generator bench
- January 2017 - HiL storage bench / EMS algorithms validation
- November 2017 - Containerized storage system, EMS algorithms integration
- Prototyping bench and Hardware in the Loop (HiL) simulation
- Containerized electrochemical storage system