The EIC (European Innovation Council) has its own agency, the EIC executive agency resulting from the merger of the former EASME and REA. The EIC will provide financial support through two components: the EICPathfinder (reserved for the initial phases) and the EIC Accelerator (reserved for the development and commercialization phases of projects).
Scope EIC Pathfinder:
You should apply to this call if you are looking for support from EIC Pathfinder Open to realise an ambitious vision for radically new technology, with potential to create new markets and/or to address global challenges. EIC Pathfinder Open supports early stage development of such future technologies (e.g. various activities at low Technology Readiness Levels 1-4), based on high-risk/high-gain science-towards-technology breakthrough research (including ‘deep-tech’). This research must provide the foundations of the technology you are envisioning.
EIC Pathfinder Open may support your work, especially if it is highly risky: you may set out to try things that will not work; you may be faced with questions that nobody knows the answer to yet; you may realise that there are many aspects of the problem that you do not master. On the contrary, if the path you want to follow is incremental by nature or known, EIC Pathfinder Open will not support you.
Before applying you should verify that your proposal meets all the following essential characteristics (‘Gatekeepers’):
- Convincing long-term vision of a radically new technology that has the potential to have a transformative positive effect to our economy and society.
- Concrete, novel and ambitious science-towards-technology breakthrough, providing advancement towards the envisioned technology.
- High-risk/high-gain research approach and methodology, with concrete and plausible objectives.
For more details, see the EIC Work Programme 2022.
A “Transition” component is also planned to help the most promising Pathfinder and ERC-winning research projects engage in the accelerator smoothly.
If your project aims Marine Renewable Energy, you can sollicitate WEAMEC !
Key dates in the call for project
- 5 March 2022 - Planned opening date
- 4th May 2022 - Deadline date