As part of the OPIN project, support will be offered to Collaborative Innovation Groups (CIGs).
A CIG is a small group of SMEs, often working with research entities and / or large companies, to solve specific problems which are barriers to deployment of ocean energy and offer opportunities for new products, services or markets.
CIGs should focus on challenges which cannot be solved by one SME alone and aim to include complementary skills and expertise.
For the purposes of applying for OPIN support, a CIG should be led be an SME. The group may also include large companies, universities or research organisations where they can provide a specific contribution to the work and support the SMEs to achieve their objectives.
CIGs must be cross-border, involving participants from at least two OPIN region. CIGs are also encouraged to work on a cross-sector basis, bringing in knowledge and expertise from other sectors to help address the challenges identified.
Ocean Energy Challenges and Opportunities
CIGs can be formed to respond to identified challenges for the ocean energy sector and its value chain. The following general challenges have been identified:
- Technology challenges: Structures, foundations and moorings / Installation, logistics and infrastructure / Power transmission, grid connection and integration
- Economic & supply chain: LCoE analysis and cost reduction strategies / Industry and supply chain development / Insurance and finance
- Regulatory / environmental: Standards / Health & safety / Environmental impact assessment and monitoring
Additional examples of challenges can be found in the OPIN CIG Guideline to Applicants document available at the bottom of this page.
A group of SMEs can also suggest a challenge or opportunity they would like to work on which isn’t specifically mentioned in the OPIN calls.
Applicants may apply for a CIG voucher at any time during the OPIN project duration (2019-2021). The OPIN Steering Group will consider CIG applications on a monthly basis.
Become a member of OPIN to benefit from this support!
The details of the call for projects are presented in the documents at the bottom of the page.
Key dates in the call for project
- 1st January 2019 - OPIN project Kick-off meeting
- 31st December 2021 - End of OPIN project