Society focus on the environment is driving a paradigm shift in offshore energy. Governments set ambitious targets, while knowledge gained from the oil and gas sector has paved the way for successful delivery of offshore wind projects in many regions. As the sector moves into new areas with challenging soil and load conditions, and greater water depths, there continues to be challenges to overcome. This Special Edition of JMSE (edited by ISSMGE TC209) will focus on the state of practice, and identify current, emerging and future geotechnical challenges, associated with foundations for offshore wind.
Both fixed and floating concepts are included, with topics expected to fall into the following areas:
- Site characterization – new regions and challenging soil; uncertainty; integrated geosciences
- Analysis & Design –foundation concepts, design optimisation, codes and standards
- Installation – case studies, monitoring and instrumentation, managing risk
- Life time performance – monitoring, digital twins
Prospective authors are invited to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to participate in this special edition. Your EOI should include a paper title, authors and abstract (up to 500 words). As JMSE is open access, there will be a publication fee associated with each paper. The publisher has offered discounts that will be shared equally across all papers (i.e. all paper will attract the same fee). The fee will depend on the number of papers published but is likely in the range 1000‐1200 CHF. By submitting an EOI you confirm you will be able to cover this fee should your paper be selected. All papers will be peer reviewed (with the intention that TC 209 members assist with this process). Papers will be (individually) published by JMSE as soon as the review process is completed, with the intention to print the entire collection as a book.
- Deadline for submitting abstracts: 29/10/2021
- Notification of acceptance to authors: 26/11/2021
- Deadline for submitting papers for initial review: 29/04/2022
Please send your EOI to Harun Kursat Engin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Phil Watson (email@example.com) by the due date.