The Ocean Power Innovation Network (OPIN) is a European collaborative network that aims to accelerate the growth of the Offshore Renewable Energy sector and its supply chains.
The basic premise of OPIN is to encourage both cross-sectoral and cross-regional collaboration for Offshore Renewable Energy SMEs and associate partners (research organizations, large companies, public organizations).
OPIN is a 3-year initiative, running from 2019 to 2021. The project has a total project budget of €2.6M, with €1.5M in financial support contributed by Interreg North West Europe from the European Research and Development Fund (ERDF).
WEAMEC is one of the partners in this project which includes the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (Coordinator), DMEC (Netherlands), Scottish Enterprise (United Kingdom), Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (United Kingdom), Sirris (Belgium) and Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft zur Förderung. der angewandten Forschung (Germany).
Scientific advances and innovation
OPIN WILL ENCOURAGE cross-sectoral and cross-regional collaboration
- Cross-sectoral collaboration will bring already proven expertise, capabilities and products from other sectors (oil and gas, offshore wind, maritime, etc.) into the offshore renewable sector. This will help to reduce costs and accelerate technology development.
- Cross-regional collaboration will bring interactions between companies from regions with ocean energy expertise and potential collaborators from regions that are world leaders in other technology fields (offshore wind energy, oil and gas, aerospace, automotive and manufacturing). OPIN will provide a mechanism to transfer expertise between these regions, addressing the disparities in innovation and economic development across North West Europe.
The scope of the OPIN project includes:
- wave, tidal stream, floating offshore wind and hybrid offshore renewable energy systems;
- subsystems, components, materials, enabling technologies, installation, operations and maintenance, decommissioning, related processes and services; and
- energy systems and storage solutions, to enable integration of ocean energy.
OPIN will deliver the following supports to encourage both cross-sectoral and cross-regional collaboration:
- Annual Symposiums: providing networking opportunities for OPIN members
- Workshops and Masterclasses: to facilitate knowledge transfer between the project partner regions and to simulate the growth of the network.
- Technology Assessment Processes (TAPs): assessments allowing SMEs to benchmark their technologies, map structured development paths and identify potential collaborators.
- Collaborative Innovation Groups (CIGs): clusters of SMEs, working with research entities or large companies to solve problems identified as barriers to the ocean energy sector.
Register on the following link Become a member of OPIN to benefit from these services!
Stay informed of upcoming OPIN events:
- OPIN Workshop: Cross-sector Collaboration between the Offshore and Ocean Energy Sectors – 2 July 2019, Maritiem MuseumLeuvehaven 1, 3011 EA Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- OPIN Annual Symposium – 30 September 2019, The Convention Centre Dublin. Colocated with Ocean Energy Europe 2019.
- OPIN Workshop: Energy Policy and Offshore Renewables State of the Nation – 23 octobre 2019, Offshore House, Albert St, Blyth NE24 1LZ, UK.
- OPIN Workshop: Advanced Materials and Manufacturing – 12 novembre 2019, Nantes, France.
Event list also available on the OPIN website.
Expected technical and economic impact
OPIN plans to support over 100 companies over the lifetime of the project. Additionally, the OPIN network will continue to grow and be a mechanism for the transfer of expertise beyond the life of the project.
WEAMEC is coordinating the establishment of a EUROPEAN SME network
Within OPIN, WEAMEC is responsible for creating and managing a European network of SMEs which work or could work in the MRE sector. This network will be open to SMEs, but also to associate members (research organizations, large companies, public organizations) to encourage cross-sector interaction to develop European projects and reinforce international presence.
Key project milestones
- 30 January 2019 - Kick Off Meeting
- 30 September 2019 - Annual Symposium 2019
- 31 October 2019 - Call 1 CIG Support
- 31 January 2020 - Call 2 CIG Support